Sunday 16 June 2013

Flash

I've used flash at different times during the course so here is an overview of the different things that I have tried.
 
 17mm, ISO 100, 1/250, f4

20mm, ISO 1600, 1/250, f5

During the course I've experimented with fill-in flash to freeze movement - like here as my athletic niece gets some air, or someone tries a bit of slam-dunking. The flash has been adjusted in both cases to balance the exposure for a back-lit subject.

 35mm, ISO 400, 1/60, f4.5
35mm, ISO 100, 1/125, f2.8
This is similar to exposures that I worked on at Fielden (here a still life shot and a portrait of Faiz) that required the same effect with fill-in flash.

35mm, ISO 200, 2 sec, f11
We also adjusted our camera settings so that the fill in flash fired at different times during the raising and lowering of the shutter curtain. Above, with the first shutter curtain - the flash freezes the action at the start of a longer exposure, and so the light trail appears afterwards.

35mm, ISO 200, 2 sec, f11
This image is with the flash timed to fire with the second shutter curtain - in other words at the end of the exposure. Now the light trail is recorded before the action is frozen and so appears to trail behind - an effect that seems more logical and natural.

Just before the course I experimented with a Speedlite flash gun mounted on the camera's hot shoe.
 It wasn't straightforward - its not easy to get the flash exactly where you want it on the picture plane.

And you can also get a bit of a rabbit in the headlights look...

I had more success at a family party where the ceilings were much lower and I could bounce the flash successfully. I would like to repeat all this in view of what I have learned on the course more recently.

55mm, ISO 400, 1/60, f4

 20mm, ISO 400, 1/60, f4
35mm, ISO 400, 1/60, f4




No comments:

Post a Comment